Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Midwest Folk & Fiber Art Fair


Fiber Overload!
I have never seen such beauty all in one place. I was so overwhelmed, I didn't know where to start.

From the beginning...
Bean and I made the drive North from Yorkville (where we live) to Grayslake, which took us about an hour and a half... not bad. We pull into the fair grounds, walk up to a very nice, very big, farm building, and as soon as you walk in BAM! you are hit with the most beautiful colors I have ever seen on yarn. (remember, I'm new to this!)

It was hard picking which pictures to share, I loved them all!

There was all kinds of fiber...finished yarn, yarn ready to be spun, and raw fiber waiting to become roving?! I learned a lot of new lingo on my trip.

There were several booths with fantastic fiber goodness for sale.
Bean and I shopped.

There was some pretty crafty things out there...
Like these slippers -

They were hand felted and $45

I saw these little cuties. They were just shapes crocheted together that made me think of garland at Christmas, but this kind of garland could stay up all year round in my opinion!

They had lots of demonstrations... drop spindle spinning, felting, knitting, and crocheting. Below is a lovely girl showing us how to use a spinning wheel. I had no idea spinning wheels could be so expensive... like $700! Yikes! Most of the spinners like to spin without shoes??

Then we came to the Vintage Fibers booth....with real live English Angora rabbits. Uh oh! I was hooked (no pun intended) when Vintage Fibers showed me that you can harvest the Angora, mix it with Alpaca, and spin it into yarn. Oh my! I had visions of lovely trim on fancy scarves and arm warmers.

We took the photo...

...and then picked out our bunny!

His name is Hawk Nelson.
That's what was already on his papers, but Bean has changed his name to Hawkson.

Bean is now a proud owner of her very own bunny!
Then it was on to Farm and Fleet to find a home, water bottle, and hay for our new addition!

Needless to say, I did not come home with any fiber of my own because I am such a softy for my kids. I couldn't afford to buy both, and I couldn't resist, "Mommy, can we have one, pleeeeeaaassssseeee?"

xoxo
Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment