Monday, June 6, 2011

I ran out of yarn... again!

Now that school is out, as I am a "non-traditional" student, meaning I'm too old to be a "traditional" student ( I'm 39), at Aurora University in Illinois, my plan for the summer is to finish up some crafty projects I started, but ran out of time to finish. I have two whole months to do what ever I want!! I am so excited. I will cook, and clean, and crochet, and read, all sorts of things that I put on the back burner while I was in school.

First on the list... finish already-started crocheted afghans.

I started the "Painted Desert" afghan over Christmas break, then school started up again and I never got around to finishing it. It's pretty big, 6.5 x 5 feet. I wanted it big enough to snuggle up with my kids and not leave any body parts uncovered. Last week I finished the body and decided that it needed a border... I love to crochet, but I'm not very good at it. This is my first, of only four afghans to date, that I put a border on. Before this, I only knew one stitch, the half double crochet!

This is now my border and I couldn't be more happy. It just "finishes" the blanket. I thought I would finish it yesterday, but I only had about three feet of the border to finish and I RAN OUT OF YARN! UGH! This didn't happen to me just once, but twice. I went to Michael's to get a skein of yarn to begin the border, one would be enough, but then I decided to go around the body three times instead of two... darn borders. Back to Micheal's I go. Today I will finish for sure!

I'm not sure if this combination of stitches has a name, but I see it every where. I learned this stitch when I began making granny squares. This afghan I started on spring break. I thought my magic hands would finish it in a week. All I can say is... HA.

The afghan above is number two one my list of things to finish.. and completed afghan number 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment